8:30pm doors / 9:00pm show
- 19 E. Main St., Alhambra, CA 91801, Nicholas Deyoe
- breathing machine, Aaron Hynds
- Aaron Hynds, tuba & electronics
- The Subtler Arts of Lions (premiere), Eliza Brow
- Beth McDonald, F tuba
- Aaron Hynds, CC tuba
- Selections from untitled, Beth McDonald
- Beth McDonald, tuba & laptop
- Group improvisation with Aaron Hynds, Lia Kohl, Beth McDonald, Nick Meryhew
The first set explores the interior dimensions of the tuba. Nicholas Deyoe's work disembowels the instrument, reveling in the more grotesque qualities of the tuba. In contrast, Aaron’s work strives to find a sense of stillness by exploring the foundation of the tuba--the breathe. Finally, Eliza Brown pits two tubas against each other, using the sonic qualities of the two as mutual auditory disruptors. These works will be featured on an upcoming CD release “Colossus” -- learn more here: https://igg.me/at/tubacolossus/.
The second set begins a trajectory outward from the tuba. Beth’s work use the tuba as a basis for stillness and drone, and the laptop for both processing and as a standalone instrument. These pieces are working drafts from her upcoming solo release, due out on Pan y Rosas Discos in November. The evening’s trajectory ends with a group improvisation for bass clef -- locals Lia Kohl (cello) and Nick Meryhew (trombone) join Aaron and Beth.